Judge acquits man who said he lived at Chicago airport for 3 months over Covid fears


CHICAGO – A man who spent three months living in a secure terminal at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport instead of returning home to India as he planned has been acquitted of a trespassing charge.

Cook County Judge Adrienne Davis acquitted Aditya Singh this week without her lawyer having to defend herself, the Chicago Tribune reported. Singh, 37, is expected to return to court on Friday on an escape charge for allegedly violating the terms of his electronic surveillance while on bail for the trespassing charge.

Davis’ justification for acquitting Singh was not immediately clear. But after his arrest on Jan. 16, the Transportation Security Administration, which regulates airport security for the Chicago Department of Aviation, determined that Singh had not broken airport regulations.

“Sir. Singh did not violate or inappropriately enter the secure areas – he arrived like tens of thousands of passengers arriving every day, getting off a plane,” Christine said. Carrino, spokesperson for the Aviation Department, in a statement to the newspaper earlier this year. “Although we don’t speculate on Mr. Singh’s motives, he decided to stay in the secure area and did everything. its possible to blend in as a passenger and an employee of the airline until his arrest. “

Singh, who came to the United States almost six years ago to earn a master’s degree, was living in Orange, Calif., When he boarded a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago last October for what was supposed to be the first stop on his return home. India. But he was arrested in January after two United Airlines employees noticed he was wearing a badge that an airport operations manager reported missing.

Singh told police he stayed at the airport because the coronavirus pandemic scared him to fly and was able to get by with the help of strangers who had bought him from. the food. A friend of Singh’s told the Tribune that he told him in text messages that he enjoyed talking to people at the airport about his Buddhist and Hindu beliefs about healing.

“I am growing spiritually through this experience and I know I will come out of it stronger,” he wrote to the friend in a text she shared with the diary.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.