West China earthquake death toll rises to 93

Death toll from major earthquake in western China rises to 93 as search for survivors continues

Death toll from major earthquake in western China rises to 93 as search for survivors continues

The death toll from a major earthquake in western China has risen to 93 as the search for survivors continues, authorities said.

A 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck Sichuan province last week, with much of the damage concentrated in the province’s Ganze Tibetan Autonomous Region.

Another 25 people are still missing on Sunday evening, rescuers said, according to the public television channel. CCTV. The search for survivors and the recovery of bodies have been complicated by heavy rains and the risk of landslides, which have forced some residents to move to temporary shelters.

The quake also hit Chengdu, the provincial capital, where residents were under strict zero COVID checks, meaning they were not allowed to leave their buildings. Footage online showed residents banging on metal doors at the front of apartment complexes as they sought to leave their buildings.

Tens of millions of people remain under China’s extensive zero COVID controls. The Chengdu local government announced that a few districts where there were no new COVID19 cases will be allowed to reopen on Monday. However, a large part of its 21 million inhabitants remain confined. The city reported just 143 cases of coronavirus infection on Monday, more than half of which were people who did not show symptoms.

China has stuck to its massive system of lockdowns and mass testing even as the rest of the world eased restrictions. The country’s approach has minimized deaths, but kept millions locked in their homes for weeks or even months at a time.

Comments are closed.